Diocese of La Crosse
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF LA CROSSE (Dioecesis Crossensis)
Established : 1868
The arms were adopted in 1953.
The three blue wavy lines represent the rivers that bound the diocese, Chippewa, Wisconsin, and Mississippi. The gold cross in the canoe symbolizes the evangelization of the early missionaries. The sheaf of wheat is symbolic of the Eucharist and the rural economy of the diocese.
Under the left arm of the cross is a lacrosse racket from the game played by the native Americans in this area. The shape is also symbolic of the bishop's crozier.
The green mounds in the background remind one of the natural beauty of the diocese.
Arms of Bishops
Michael Heiss (1868-1880)
Kilian Caspar Flasch (1881-1891)
- No image
James Schwebach (1891-1921)
Alexander Joseph McGavick (1921-1948)
John Patrick Treacy (1948-1964)
Frederick William Freking (1965-1983)
John Joseph Paul (1983-1994)
Raymond Leo Burke (1995-2004)
Jerome Edward Listecki (2004-2010)
William Patrick Callahan (2010-present)
Arms of Auxiliary Bishops