Diocese of Ogdensburg

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 6,619

DIOCESE OF OGDENSBURG (Dioecesis Ogdensburgensis)

Country : United States
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1872

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Ogdensburg

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

Ogdensburg was the site of a French mission of ¨La Présentation´, founded in 1749 by Abbe Francois Piquet to minister of the Iroquois. After the demise of New France the British refurbished Fort La Presentation and renamed it Fort Oswegatchie. It was held by them until 1796. The settlement that developed around the fort was named after Samuel Ogden (1743-1798), a New Jersey lawyer, who bought land there. The oak leaves are a canting element, as the name Ogden, is derived from 'oak-dene'. The Ogden family also used oak leaves in their arms. The -burg part is represented by a tower (burg meaning fortress), which thus also represents Fort Oswegatchie.

Arms of Bishops

Arms of Auxiliary Bishops


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : website of the cathedral of Ogdensburg, 27-4-2011