Diocese of Savannah
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF SAVANNAH (Diœcesis Savannensis)
Established : 1850
Renamed 1937 to Diocese of Savannah-Atlanta
Split in 1956 in Diocese of Savannah and Diocese of Atlanta
Argent on a cross gules, a rose or between four mullets azure.
The arms were first used in 1960.
The cross is the cross of Saint George and also symbolizes the State of Georgia, named after the British King George II. The four blue stars honour that Georgia was the fourth USA-state to ratify the Constitution of the United States. The golden Cherokee rose on the centre of the cross, is the state flower of Georgia, and is also associated with the Rose of Sharon as well as Mary, the Mystical Rose.
From 1922-1959 the arms also showed the St. George's cross, but in each quarter a small cross. Together with the large cross these formed the five wounds of the crucified Christ.
Arms of Bishops
Francis Xavier Gartland (1850–1854)
- Did not use arms
John Barry (1857–1859)
Augustin Verot (1861–1870)
Ignatius Persico (1870–1872)
William Hickley Gross (1873–1885)
Thomas Albert Andrew Becker (1886–1899)
Benjamin Joseph Keiley (1900–1922)
Michael Joseph Keyes (1922–1935)
Gerald Patrick Aloysius O'Hara (1935–1959)
Thomas Joseph McDonough (1960–1967)
Gerard Louis Frey (1967–1972)
Raymond William Lessard (1973–1995)
John Kevin Boland (1995–2011)
Gregory John Hartmayer (2011–2020)
Arms of Auxiliary Bishops
Literature : Information from Hans van Heijningen