Incorporated into : 1974 Clwyd (1996 Conwy, Flintshire, Denbighshire, Wrexham County Borough)
Additions : 1996 Alyn and Deeside (1974 Buckley Urban District, Connah's Quay Urban District, Hawarden Rural District (partly)), Delyn (1974 Flint Borough Council, Holywell RDC, Holywell UDC, Mold UDC)
Parishes : Caerwys
Arms: Argent on a Cross engrailed fleury Sable between four Cornish Choughs proper a Mascle of the field between four Plates.
Crest: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Dragon Gules supporting with the claws an Ostrich Feather Argent.
Motto: 'GORAU TARIAN, CYFIAWNDER' - The best shield is justice.
Flintshire was an administrative county until 1974, and re-established as a county council in 1996.
The above arms were granted on May 12, 1938 and restored in 1996 when the county was re-created.
The cross and the birds are taken from the arms of Edwin King of Tegeingl, a former Kingdom that covered most of the present county. He founded one of the fifteen Royal tribes of North Wales.
The crest is the Welsh dragon carrying a white feather. This is the badge of the Prices of Wales, and adopted as a symbol of Wales by Henry VII.
Literature : Information provided by the Flintshire County Council.