Difference between revisions of "Inveraray"

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
 
(8 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
''' INVERARAY'''
 
''' INVERARAY'''
 +
 +
==Burgh==
  
 
Incorporated into : 1975 [[Argyll and Bute]] District (1996 [[Argyll and Bute]] Area Council)
 
Incorporated into : 1975 [[Argyll and Bute]] District (1996 [[Argyll and Bute]] Area Council)
  
[[File:Inveraray.jpg|center]]
+
[[File:Inveraray.jpg|center|Arms (crest) of {{PAGENAME}}]]
  
====Official blazon====  
+
===Official blazon===  
 
In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper.
 
In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper.
  
 
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".
 
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".
  
====Origin/meaning====
+
===Origin/meaning===
 
The arms were granted on April 27, 1927.
 
The arms were granted on April 27, 1927.
  
Campbeltown was created a Burgh of Barony in 1667 in favour of Archibald, 9th Earl of Argyll, and was raised to a Royal Burgh by King William III in 1700.
+
Inveraray, erected into a Burgh or Barony in 1474 in favour of Colin, 1st Earl of Argyll and Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, was made a Royal Burgh in 1648 by King Charles 1.
  
The quartered arms show :
+
The arms are most unusual in that the blazon is "all Proper". They follow the device on the Burgh seal known from 1684.
*I the Castle of Kilkerane in Kintyre said to have been built by King James IV; the colours chosen combine the Royal colours with Thistle green which was much used by King James IV as a livery colour; the use of green and gold is doubly appropriate as these are the ancient colours of Dalriada, and Campbeltown is built on the site of its capital Dalruadhain.
 
*II The gold and black gyronny of the Campbell Earls and Dukes of Argyll, first borne by their forebears, the Campbells of Lochow.
 
*III The black galley of Lorn, with the flaming beacon at its masthead, the Lordship of Lorn being now held by the Dukes of Argyll.
 
*IV A black fret on a silver field, taken from the arms ofTollemache of Helmingham in Suffolk, to commemorate the long association with the town of Elizabeth Tollemache, wife of Archibald, 1st Duke of Argyll; she lived at Limecraigs House nearby, died there in
 
1735 and is buried in Campbeltown.  
 
  
The crest of a herring refers to the local fishing industry and also commemorates the time of the Herring Bounty when hundreds of herring "busses" used to assemble at Campbeltown to receive the Bounty.  
+
The herrings swimming into the net recall the famous herring fishing industry of Loch Fyne on which the town stands.  
  
The Latin motto has been freely translated as "Fortune helps those who help themselves".
+
The Latin motto is something of a mystery; one suggestion is that it means "May the fish sauce always be ready for you".  
  
 
{|align="center"
 
{|align="center"
 
|align="center"|[[File:Inverarayseal.jpg|350 px|center]] <br/>Seal of Inverarayas used in the 1890s
 
|align="center"|[[File:Inverarayseal.jpg|350 px|center]] <br/>Seal of Inverarayas used in the 1890s
|align="center"|[[File:Inveraray.jj.jpg|350 px|center]] <br/>The arms as used on a [[Jaja|JaJa postcard]] +/- 1905
+
|align="center"|[[File:Inveraray.jj.jpg|350 px|center|Arms (crest) of {{PAGENAME}}]] <br/>The arms as used on a [[Jaja|JaJa postcard]] +/- 1905
 
|-
 
|-
 
|align="center"|[[File:Inveraray2.jpg|350 px|center]] <br/>The arms as used in the town ([http://www.lesleyburr.co.uk/images/commissions/pages/21-Coat%20of%20Arms%20Entr%2330022.html source])
 
|align="center"|[[File:Inveraray2.jpg|350 px|center]] <br/>The arms as used in the town ([http://www.lesleyburr.co.uk/images/commissions/pages/21-Coat%20of%20Arms%20Entr%2330022.html source])
 +
|}
 +
 +
 +
==Community Council==
 +
 +
[[File:inverarayc.jpg|center|Arms (crest) of {{PAGENAME}}]]
 +
 +
===Official blazon===
  
|}
+
In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper.
 +
Above  the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory  Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".
 +
 
 +
===Origin/meaning===
 +
The arms were granted on May 21, 1998.
 +
 
 +
These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.
  
 
{{media}}
 
{{media}}
Line 40: Line 51:
 
[[Literature]] : Urquhart, 1974  
 
[[Literature]] : Urquhart, 1974  
  
[[Category:United Kingdom Municipalities C]]
+
[[Category:United Kingdom Municipalities I]]
 
[[Category:Scotland]]
 
[[Category:Scotland]]
 
[[Category:Granted 1927]]
 
[[Category:Granted 1927]]

Latest revision as of 17:18, 13 October 2020

Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 9,047
  • Total images in the British section : 4,215

INVERARAY

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Argyll and Bute District (1996 Argyll and Bute Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Inveraray

Official blazon

In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper.

Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on April 27, 1927.

Inveraray, erected into a Burgh or Barony in 1474 in favour of Colin, 1st Earl of Argyll and Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, was made a Royal Burgh in 1648 by King Charles 1.

The arms are most unusual in that the blazon is "all Proper". They follow the device on the Burgh seal known from 1684.

The herrings swimming into the net recall the famous herring fishing industry of Loch Fyne on which the town stands.

The Latin motto is something of a mystery; one suggestion is that it means "May the fish sauce always be ready for you".

Inverarayseal.jpg

Seal of Inverarayas used in the 1890s
Arms (crest) of Inveraray

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Inveraray2.jpg

The arms as used in the town (source)


Community Council

Arms (crest) of Inveraray

Official blazon

In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper. Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on May 21, 1998.

These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.


Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to support the site !
Support the site:
Payhip.jpg

Download shop with old heraldic books

Literature : Urquhart, 1974