KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE (County Council)
Incorporated into : 1975 Dumfries and Galloway
Azure, a lion rampant Argent, armed and langued Gules, crowned with an antique crown Or, surmounted of a bar chequy of the Second and Vert.
Which Shield is ensigned of a coronet appropriate to a County Council as the same is now defined and assigned by us, videlicet: Issuant from a circlet Vert, five paling piles also Vert, alternately with four garbs Or, banded Sable.
The arms were officially granted on May 15, 1951.
The arms show the silver lion of Galloway crowned by an antique golden crown. The chequered bar symbolises the checked tablecloth that the Stewards of the Lords of Galloway used when collecting taxes and other dues. This part of Galloway thus is known as the Stewartry of Kirksudbright.
Literature : Urquhart, 1974