|Heraldry of the World|
|Finnish heraldry portal|
Hopeakentässä luonnonvärinen metsäläinen, pidellen maahanlaskettua nuijaa, seisomassa vihreällä maalla. Otsan ja vyötäisten ympärillä vihreä seppele.
The arms were granted on Decmeber 29, 1954.
The original name of the town was Lappstrand, which in 1721 became Willmanstrand (Swedish for or 'town of the savages'), which was later changed into the Finnish Lappeenranta. Hence the arms are canting. A savage was already the figure on the seal of the town in 1652.
In the late 19th century the arms were augmented with a free canton with the arms of Vyborg province, see image below. However, these were never adopted.
Proposal of new arms in the late 19th century
The arms on a road sign
Postal cancellation 1949
Literature : Pirinen, K. Local coats of arms in Finland (Suomen kunnallisvaakunat), Vantaa, 1982, 216 p.