The arms were granted on ??-??-1989.
The arms how a mast with three sails to represent the maritime traditions of the municipality.
The previous arms :
These arms are known since 1899 and show an unidentified tree. The tree probably symbolises the beech forest around the town. A (beech) tree has been used by the 18th century governor of the area, Jens Kielman, as well as in a seal of a local guild in the early 19th century.
The seal of Larvik from 1825
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1930
The arms at the municipal border (image by Jan-Erik Løken)
and acquisition of new heraldic material