Lichfield

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 3,271

LICHFIELD

District Council

Additions : 1974 Lichfield (borough), Lichfield RDC

Arms (crest) of Lichfield

Official blazon

Arms : Vert an eagle displayed wings inverted perched on a Stafford knot Or and charged on the breast with three arrows barbs downwards two in saltire and one in pale proper banded gules on a chief Or a pale ermine between two chevrons gules.
Crest : Out of a coronet composed of four ears of wheat and as many acorns leaved set alternately upon a rim Or, a demi stag sable charged on the shoulder with a sun in splendour gold, mantled vert doubled Or.
Motto: 'ORA ET LABORA'-Pray and work

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on January 20, 1964 to the Lichfield RDC and taken over by the Lichfield District Council.

The gold Stafford knot on a green background represents rural Staffordshire. The Roman eagle, also in gold, refers to the important Roman historical associations of the district (e.g. Watling Street, Ryknild Street and Letocetum, which gave its name to Lichfield). The eagle is also common to the arms of the Paget and Biddulph families, and was also the emblem of Leofric, Earl of Mercia, who died at Kings Bromley in 1057.

The sheaf of arrows is from the arms of the Peel family of Drayton, to which belonged Sir Robert Peel. The chief is derived from the arms of the Borough of Lichfield, it consists of a panel of ermine between two panels of gold bearing the red chevron of the Staffords, which is the basis of the County Arms and also appears in the arms of the Lane family of Kings Bromley.

The special coronet of ears of wheat and acorns is of a type formerly assigned to Rural District Councils. The black stag alludes to the coalfields in the Cannock Chase area. On its shoulder is the sun, which, as the source of light and power, is common to the arms of the National Coal Board and the Central Electricity Generating Authority.

Arms of Lichfield

The arms in the town (source)

Borough

Arms (crest) of Lichfield

Official blazon

Arms : Chequey of nine Or a Chevron Gules and Ermine.
Supporters : On the dexter side a representation of St. Chad vested in alb and amice proper the orphreys Vert embroidered Or a dalmatic of the first embroidered of the second and a chasuble of the second trimmed of the first embroidered of the second gloves Argent and shoes Purpure in the bend of his exterior arm a Pastoral Staff of the second and in his exterior hand a representation of Lichfield Cathedral proper and on the sinister side a representation of a Guild Master of Lichfield in fifteenth century dress proper carrying in his exterior hand a Bunch of Roses Gules leaved and stalked proper.
Motto: 'SALVE MAGNA PARENS'-Hail great mother (or parent).

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on March 28, 1950.

The chevrons probably derive from the Arms of the ancient family of Stafford.

The supporters are a Bishop, fully-robed, holding a Pastoral staff, and the Cathedral represented, which symbolises Saint Chad, the first Bishop of Lichfield, and a representation of a Guild Master, robed in 15th century dress and holding in one hand, a posy of roses.

The motto, "SALVE, MAGNA PARENS" = "HAIL GREAT MOTHER", was first used by Samuel Johnson at the beginning of the compilation of his famous Dictionary. It was a tribute by Johnson, not only to his beloved native city, but also to Lichfield as the Mother City of the Kingdom of Mercia.

Arms of Lichfield

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Lichfield.fau.jpg

The arms as used on a Faulkner postcard +/- 1905


Literature : Information provided by the Lichfield Council.