Merton College (Oxford University)
MERTON COLLEGE (OXFORD UNIVERSITY)
Or, three chevronels per pale, the first and third azure and gules, the second of the same counterchanged.
Entered at the Visitation of 1574.
This College vies with Balliol for being the second college of the University. It was founded in 1264 by Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester. The arms of Merton are taken from the Clare arms (or, three chevronels gules) for two of the Clares helped in the foundation. The arms used by Merton were, or, three chevronels per pale azure and gules, the centre one counter-changed.
The College sometimes bears these impaled (to the sinister) with those of the See of Rochester.
The arms on a tobacco card, (1922)