|Heraldry of the World |
|Danish heraldry portal|
|Greenland heraldry portal
|Faroe Islands heraldry portal|
Region : Syddanmark
Amt (until 2007) :Fyn (until 1970 Odense)
Additions : 1970 Agedrup, Allerup-Davinde, Allese-Næsbyhoved Broby, Brændekilde-Bellinge, Dalum, Fraugde, Lumby, Paarup, Sanderum, Seden-Åsum, Stenløse-Fangel, Trøstrup-Korup, Ubberud
The arms were officially granted in 1938.
The arms are based on a seal known from 1460, which may be dating from around 1400. The arms show the H. King Knud, who was buried in the local church which, after he became a saint, was renamed the King Knuds Church. The other church besides the saint is the Church of Our Blessed Lady.
The fleur-de-lis is already present on the oldest seal, and it is the only symbol in the smaller seals of the city.
Seal from 1460
Small seal seal of Odense from 1524
Small seal seal of Odense from 1574
Seal from 1648
Seal from 1586
The arms as shown on a banner from 1898 (collection De Fynske Landsby)
The arms in the Kaffe Hag album, 1933
The arms in the town
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Achen, 1982; Zeuthen, 2000