Parish of St. Andrews
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
PARISH OF SAINT ANDREWS
Argent on a cross Gules the Royal Cypher of His Majesty King George III Or, in the first quarter a paschal lamb reguardant proper nimbed Or supporting a cross staff proper flying therefrom a banner Azure charged with a saltire Argent, on a chief Azure three celestial crowns Or; Motto FEAR GOD HONOUR THE KING
The arms were granted on July 20, 2006.
The main part of the shield with the cross of St. George refers to the Church of England heritage of the parish. The Royal Cypher of King George III marks the loyalty of the Penobscot Loyalists (those refugees from Castine, Maine, at the mouth of the Penobscot River, who founded the Town of St. Andrews in 1783) and commemorates the grants from the Crown which set up and endowed the ecclesiastical parish. The paschal lamb is the traditional symbol of St. John the Baptist and thus refers to St. John the Baptist Chapel of Ease established in Chamcook outside the town in 1846. The banner of St. Andrew on the lamb’s cross staff recalls the “Church of St. Andrews”, the original name of the parish church, and the civil parish from which the ecclesiastical parish takes its name. The celestial crowns are symbols associated with All Saints, and thus refer to the parish’s All Saints’ Church.
The motto is taken from 1 Peter 2:17 (Authorized Version), and appears in the parish’s memorial window to the Reverend Samuel Andrews, the first Rector, a Loyalist refugee and former Rector of Wallingford, Connecticut.