|Heraldry of the World |
|Lithuanian heraldry portal|
County : Panevėžys
Pasvalys was already mentioned in the 13th century, but received city rights only in 1950. The arms were designed in 1970 and showed a bull's head and a branch of hops. The bull's head was derived from the arms of the town's founder, Albertas Taboras (whose arms showed a donkey, not a bull); the hops symbolise the beer making tradition of the area. The arms were already abolished in the same year.
The present arms were officially granted on March 17, 1997 and were based on the 1970 arms.
Literature : Rimsa, 1998