|Heraldry of the World |
|Lithuanian heraldry portal|
County : Panevėžys
Rokiškis was first mentioned in 1499 and received city rights in 1920.
The first arms for the city were designed in 1970 and showed a quartered shield. Three of the quarters were derived from the arms of the rulers of the Rokiškis estate. The first quarter showed a candelabrum, derived from the Kroszinski family, the second quarter showed a bull, from the Tyzenhaus family, and the fourth quarter showed three bars and a fleur-de-lis, derived from the arms of the Przezdziecki family. The third quarter showed revolutionary symbols, an anvil and a star. Nevertheless the arms were abolished the same year.
The arms of 1970
The present arms were officially granted on September 15, 1993 and show the three historical quarters, but in the third quarter an organ replaced the anvil and star, symbol of the old musical traditions in the city.
Literature : Rimsa, 1998