|Heraldry of the World |
|Danish heraldry portal|
|Greenland heraldry portal
|Faroe Islands heraldry portal|
Region : Sjælland
Amt (until 2007) : Vestsjælland (until 1970 Holbæk, Sorø)
Additions : 1970 Agersø, Boeslunde, Eggeslevmagle, Holsteinborg-Venslev, Magleby, Omø, Tjæreby , Ørslev-Sønder Bjerge
Incorporated into : 2007 Slagelse
The arms were officially registered in 1938.
The arms are based on a seal of the city, which is known from 1608. The arms show the bridge and the two parts of the city, with the church and city hall. The small shell in the front is canting, the name being derived from Skælfisk-Ør, or shellfish-island.
The older seals of the city only showed the bridge and a shell. This seal is known since 1421.
Seal from 1421
Seal from 1608
Seal from 1623
The arms in the Kaffe Hag album, 1933
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Achen, 1982; Zeuthen, 2000