State : Oberösterreich
District : Steyr
The arms were granted on June 22, 1959, but are much older.
The oldest seal of the city of Steyr dates from 1304 and shows a tower with above the gate the arms of Austria and on both sides a small shield with the panther (see Steiermark, of which Steyr is the historical capital). In a second seal, dating from 1392, the shield with the panther is placed between two towers. From the early 16th century only the panther is used as arms of the city and it is also used on the seals. In 1786 the arms are shown as an escutcheon on the Imperial eagle, which was abolished in 1918 when Austria became a republic.
In 1936 the city first officially adopted the arms and again in 1959, when the State of Oberösterreich re-granted the arms.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
The arms in the Abadie albums
Special postal cancellation 1982
Literature : Baumert, H.E. : Oberösterreichische Gemeindewappen, Linz, 1996.
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site