Difference between revisions of "Stratford-upon-Avon"

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "====Official blazon====" to "===Official blazon===")
 
(4 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 10: Line 10:
 
Or, a chevron azure between three leopard's faces gules.<br>
 
Or, a chevron azure between three leopard's faces gules.<br>
  
====Origin/meaning====
+
===Origin/meaning===
 
The arms were recorded at the Visitations of 1619 and 1682, and officially certified on June 4, 1958.
 
The arms were recorded at the Visitations of 1619 and 1682, and officially certified on June 4, 1958.
  
{{missing}}
+
Stratford-upon-Avon has been a borough since the early Middle Ages, by prescription and by grant of burgage tenure by the Bishop of Worcester, lord of the manor in 1196, and by Charter since 1553.  In the Middle Ages Stratford seemed to have used for arms, Argent, a fesse vairy gules and or, between three leopards' faces sable. These arms were in medieval glass in the parish church and in the Gild Chapel.
 +
 
 +
The Charter of 1553 gave to Bailiff and Burgesses various privileges, among which was the right to a Common Seal. The first Common Seal, known from 1553, has on it a shield charged with a chevron between three leopards' faces. The same shield is on the Charter Mace and on the Mayor's Privy Seal, the latter a gift in 1593 from Richard Quyney, Bailiff from 1592-3 and 1601-2.
 +
 
 +
The chevron symbolises the River Avon and the three red leopard heads are taken from the Royal Coat of Arms. In the oldest arms the bar (fess) may have been the local bridge over the Avon.
 +
 
 +
Since 1553 the arms have not changed in composition, but various colour schemes have been used during the centuries.
 +
 
 
{|align="center"
 
{|align="center"
 
|align="center"|[[File:stratford2.jj.jpg|350 px|center|Arms of {{PAGENAME}}]] <br/>The arms as used on a [[Jaja|JaJa postcard]] +/- 1905 (wrong colours)
 
|align="center"|[[File:stratford2.jj.jpg|350 px|center|Arms of {{PAGENAME}}]] <br/>The arms as used on a [[Jaja|JaJa postcard]] +/- 1905 (wrong colours)
Line 24: Line 31:
 
{{media}}
 
{{media}}
  
[[Literature]] : Biggs, 1971
+
[[Literature]] : Biggs, 1971; Collins, 1955
  
 
[[Category:United Kingdom Municipalities S]]
 
[[Category:United Kingdom Municipalities S]]
 
[[Category:England]]
 
[[Category:England]]
 
[[Category:Granted 1958]]
 
[[Category:Granted 1958]]

Latest revision as of 07:52, 20 January 2019

Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 11
  • Total images in the British section : 4,215

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

Incorporated into : 1974 Stratford-on-Avon

Arms (crest) of Stratford-upon-Avon

Official blazon

Or, a chevron azure between three leopard's faces gules.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the Visitations of 1619 and 1682, and officially certified on June 4, 1958.

Stratford-upon-Avon has been a borough since the early Middle Ages, by prescription and by grant of burgage tenure by the Bishop of Worcester, lord of the manor in 1196, and by Charter since 1553. In the Middle Ages Stratford seemed to have used for arms, Argent, a fesse vairy gules and or, between three leopards' faces sable. These arms were in medieval glass in the parish church and in the Gild Chapel.

The Charter of 1553 gave to Bailiff and Burgesses various privileges, among which was the right to a Common Seal. The first Common Seal, known from 1553, has on it a shield charged with a chevron between three leopards' faces. The same shield is on the Charter Mace and on the Mayor's Privy Seal, the latter a gift in 1593 from Richard Quyney, Bailiff from 1592-3 and 1601-2.

The chevron symbolises the River Avon and the three red leopard heads are taken from the Royal Coat of Arms. In the oldest arms the bar (fess) may have been the local bridge over the Avon.

Since 1553 the arms have not changed in composition, but various colour schemes have been used during the centuries.

Arms of Stratford-upon-Avon

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905 (wrong colours)
Arms of Stratford-upon-Avon

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Arms of Stratford-upon-Avon

The arms on a Thomson and Porteous cigarette card, 1905

Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !

Literature : Biggs, 1971; Collins, 1955