|Heraldry of the World |
|Lithuanian heraldry portal|
The arms were granted on April 5, 2005.
The origin of Tauragė county is 1918, when the occupational German regime established the Tauragė county (Bezirk), depending to the Lithuania province of Oberost.
In 1919 the Tauragė county (apskritis) was officially established by the Republic of Lithuania. In 1950 it was abolished, and in 1994 the Tauragė county was re-established.
The arms shows on red field standing golden lynx with silver sword and shield, on shield the red horn.
The lynx is the symbol of vigilance and foresight. Those features are needed for the border land, both for the trade and for the care against the unwished influences. Also the lynx remembers that Taurage land depended to the Raseiniai district once.
The sword and shield symbolize the great fights for the defence of country in the past, as well as the readiness to defend and protect the country in the future. The red field symbolizes the blood spilt for the freedom of Lithuania.
The horn refers to the arms of Tauragė city, the administrative center of county.
Literature : Information and image provided by Virginijus Misiunas, Vilnius.