Warrington

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 3,288

WARRINGTON

Borough Council

Additions : 1974 : Golborne UDC (partly), Lymm UDC, Runcorn RDC (partly), Warrington RDC, Whiston (partly)

Arms (crest) of Warrington

Official blazon

Arms : Per fess Or and Ermine in chief between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper a Lion passant guardant in base six Lioncels rampant three two and one Gules on a chief Azure between two Garbs Or a Pale Sable fimbriated and charged with a Wolf's Head erased Argent.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Gules upon a Rock proper a Unicorn forcene Argent armed maned and unguled Or supporting between the forelegs a Sword erect proper hilt pommel and quillons Or.
Motto: 'DEUS DAT INCREMENTUM' - God giveth the increase.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on ??-??-1974.

The arms are a combination of symbols from the older arms of the different councils, as well of the two counties, in which the former councils were located; Lancashire and Cheshire (now Warrington is in Cheshire only).

The six lionels on ermine are taken from the old arms of the Town of Warrington and are taken from the arms of the first Lord of Warrington, Paganus de Vilars, in the 12th century.

The golden bar shows two roses from the arms of Lancashire, one rose for each of the two councils that belonged to Lancashire up to 1974. The lion is taken from the arms of Edmund, first Earl of Lancaster.

In the chief the two garbs represent the two Cheshire councils, the garb is taken from the arms of Cheshire. The wolf's head is taken from the (canting) arms of Hugh Lupus, the first Earl of Chester. The unicorn crest is taken from the old arms of Warrington, and is derived from the arms of the Boteler family. The banner in the old arms is replaced by the sword of Cheshire.

The motto is also taken from the old arms and means "God giveth the increase".

County Borough

Arms (crest) of Warrington

Official blazon

Arms : Ermine six Lioncels rampant three two and one Gules within a Bordure Azure charged with eight Covered Cups Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Rock proper a Unicorn rampant Argent armed maned and unguled supporting a Flagstaff Or thereon hoisted a Flag flying to the sinister per pale Argent and Azure charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded of the first and a Garb of the second.
Motto: 'DEUS DAT INCREMENTUM' - God giveth the increase.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on May 18, 1897.

The ermine shield bearing six lionels symbolises the family of the first Lord of Warrington, Paganus de Vilars, around which is a blue border bearing eight golden covered cups representing the Boteler or Butler family to whom the Manor and Barony of Warrington passed.

The unicorn its that of the Boteler family and the flag bears the emblems of Lancashire and Cheshire, because of Warrington's position on the borders of both counties.

Arms of Warrington

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : Warrington Official Guide, 1999.