Worcester College (Oxford University)
WORCESTER COLLEGE (OXFORD UNIVERSITY)
Argent, two chevronels between six martlets, three, two and one, gules.
These arms are not officially granted.
Gloucester College was established in 1298 for Benedictine monks in the province of Canterbury, and was supported by the Benedictine monasteries, who were entitled to send students and maintain camerae there. Many of the 15th century camerae still exist and it is often possible to tell to which monastery they belonged by the arms on the walls. At the dissolution the buildings were sold, but were repaired, and in 1560 became Gloucester Hall. Then in 1714 Gloucester Hall became Worcester College, which was founded under the will of Sir Thomas Crookes, Bart. There has been some controversy regarding the tinctures used in the arms, which are those of Sir Thomas Crookes.
The arms on a tobacco card, (1922)