Illinois Army National Guard, US
ILLINOIS ARMY NATIONAL GUARD, US
(Shoulder Sleeve Insignia)
(Distinctive Unit Insignia)
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia: On a blue shield 3 1/2 inches (8.89 cm) in height and 2 1/2 inches (6.35 cm) in width, a yellow silhouetted head of Abraham Lincoln.
Distinctive Unit Insignia: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a green sprig of oak, consisting of two leaves and an acorn surmounting in base the gray blockhouse of old Fort Dearborn (that from the Illinois Army National Guard crest) and all above a red scroll, the ends terminating at opposite sides of the fort inscribed "WE ACCOMMODATE" in gold letters.
Crest for Coat of Arms of Regiments and Separate Battalions of the Illinois Army National Guard: From a wreath of colors, upon a grassy field the blockhouse of old Fort Dearborn Proper.
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia: The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Illinois National Guard on 16 February 1949. The insignia was redesignated with description amended for the Headquarters, State Area Command, Illinois Army National Guard on 30 December 1983.
Distinctive Unit Insignia: The sprig of oak, symbolic of valor, bravery and courage, together with the blockhouse of Fort Dearborn, one of the earliest and most famous of the military establishments of the United States in the Northwest territory, allude to the attributes and home area of the organization. The oak further refers to the state tree of Illinois. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and noncolor bearing units of the Illinois Army National Guard on 3 May 1971. The insignia was redesignated and amended to revise the description and symbolism for Headquarters, State Area Command, Illinois Army National Guard effective 30 December 1983.
Crest: The Fort Dearborn Blockhouse represents one of the earliest and most famous of the military establishments of the United States in the Northwest Territory. While not the first place in Illinois to have an American garrison, it was in reality the first permanent fort established. The crest was approved for color bearing organizations of the State of Illinois on 5 February 1923. The crest was amended to change the wording of the approval on 14 August 1924.
Literature: Images and Information form the Institute of Heraldry, US Army
US heraldry portal
This page is part of the US heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Ecclesiastical Heraldry of the USA:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site