Country : Czechia
Province : Středočeský Kraj
District (Okres) :
In the vicinity of silver ore mines a new miners' community was established which developed rapidly and in 1318 it was granted first rights of a royal mining town by King John of Luxemburg. In 1392 King Wenceslas IV awarded the town its arms.
The crowned Bohemian lion indicates that the town belongs to the Bohemian kingdom while the rising black eagle is meant to represent the authority of the Roman Empire; the crossed mining hammers held by the lion and the eagle and the King's crown express the status of a royal mining town. The Hussite chalice was added to the coat-of arms during the reign of King George of Podebrady.
The arms were also sometimes shown held by two miners in medieval frocks or by two nuns, see below.
Czech heraldry portal
This page is part of the Czech heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Other Czech heraldry:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site