Legnica

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

LEGNICA

Province: Dolny Śląsk
Free urban district

Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica
Official blazon
Polish blazon wanted
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms of the city (German name Liegnitz) were granted on March 12, 1453 by King Wladislaw of Bohemia and confirmed by the German Emperor in the same year. The arms show the double-tailed lion of Bohemia and the crossed keys of the local patron saint St. Peter. Older seals of the city all show St. Peter or the keys. Why the colours blue and gold were chosen is not known, the original Bohemian colours are a silver lion on red.

The city did not use the arms on its seals, however until the 18th century. The seals still only showed the crossed keys. On paperwork the arms were used.

Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica

The arms in a 16th century manuscript
Siegel von Legnica

The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica

The arms in the Kawa Hag album +/- 1932
Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica

The arms as shown around 1970
Wappen von Legnica/Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica

The arms in the Abadie albums
Wappen von Legnica/Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica

The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
Wappen von Legnica/Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica

The arms in a 1936 album
Wappen von Legnica/Coat of arms (crest) of Legnica

The arms in a 1930s album

Literature:

Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldyka Świata
Poland.jpg
Polish heraldry portal
Heraldyka polska
Herbarz Miast Polskich
Poland-flag.gif

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site