|German||Geteilt; oben in Gold ein rot gekrönter, rot gezungter schwarzer Bärenkopf, unten die bayerischen Rauten.|
The oldest seal of the city is known from 1328, but probably dates from the late 13th century. The seal already shows the above arms. The upper half shows a bear's head, but the oldest seal (and the following 2 seals) show a rather unclear image. Most likely the original seal showed a lion's head, which later was transformed into a bear's head. The combination of the lion of the Pfalz and the diamonds of Bayern, would be more logical, as the city was a possession of the Dukes of Bayern (who were also Prince-Electors of the Pfalz), compare also Rain.
The arms in a manuscript from 1599
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in an album from 1968
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site