South Carolina Army National Guard, US
SOUTH CAROLINA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD, US
(Shoulder Sleeve Insignia)
(Distinctive Unit Insignia)
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia. Description: On a blue shield with a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) white border, 2 7/16 inches (6.19 cm) in width and 3 inches (7.62 cm) in height overall, a palmetto tree on a mound and in upper left corner a crescent, both white.
Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a blue obovate shaped background, the lower sides concave, bearing a gold palmetto, the trunk in back of a white eight-pointed star (one point up) with small gold center ("pierced" center), and in front of a white crescent (tips up), the inner (upper) edge touching the three middle points of the star on either side and terminating at the upper two points, all above a blue scroll, inscribed "PALMETTO MINUTEMAN" in gold letters, circumscribing the outer (lower) edge of the crescent, and the two outer portions (ends) of gold, each with one undulating fold tapering upwards and outwards and merging with the upper periphery of the background.
Crest. Description: That for regiments and separate battalions of the South Carolina Army National Guard: From a wreath of colors, upon a mount Vert a palmetto tree Proper charged with a crescent Argent.
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia: The shoulder sleeve insignia is adapted from the crest of the South Carolina Army National Guard. The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, South Carolina National Guard on 19 March 1952. It was redesignated on 30 December 1983, for Headquarters, State Area Command, South Carolina Army National Guard.
Distinctive Unit Insignia: South Carolina is known as the Palmetto State and the palmetto, the official State tree, appears on the obverse of the State seal adopted 2 April 1776. A flag consisting of a white crescent (in the upper corner of the hoist) on a blue field was first displayed at Fort Johnson on James Island, South Carolina, shortly after it was taken and garrisoned 13 September 1775, by the two South Carolina Regiments formed at the outbreak of the American Revolution, the blue uniform of the troops and their silver crescent cap badges suggesting the design of the flag to Colonel William Moultrie, the garrison Commander. On 28 January 1861, the blue flag with its white crescent was modified by the addition of a white palmetto in the center, and has been since then the official flag of the State of South Carolina. A palmetto tree in its natural colors with a silver (white) crescent superimposed on the fronds was authorized 31 December 1923, as the official crest of the South Carolina National Guard; and the shoulder sleeve insignia authorized 19 March 1952 is similar in pattern to the State flag. The eight points of the "star" or spur rowel refer to South Carolina being the eighth of the original thirteen colonies to ratify the Constitution. A spur rowel in itself is symbolic of readiness, speed and determination in pressing onward despite all obstacles. A spur rowel also alludes to "winning one's spurs" - the performance of duty and the accomplishment of some action which brings honor. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and noncolor bearing units of the South Carolina Army National Guard on 28 May 1971. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 October 1982, for Headquarters, State Area Command, South Carolina Army National Guard.
Crest: South Carolina is known as the Palmetto State. "The flag…has always been the state flag…a palmetto tree…and a white crescent." On September 13, 1775, Colonel Moultrie received an order from the Council of Safety for taking Fort Johnson on James Island, South Carolina. His troops carried a blue flag with silver crescent in the dexter corner. The troops were clothed in blue and wore silver crescents in the front of their caps. "This was the first American Flag displayed in the South." It was this flag which was shot from the bastion of Fort Sullivan and which Sergeant Jasper fastened to a sponge staff and replaced June 28, 1776. ("The Flag of the United States and other National Flags," by Admiral Preble, pages 209, 210 and 628). The crest for color bearing organizations of the State of South Carolina was approved on 31 December 1923.
Literature: Images and Information form The Institute of Heraldry, US Army.