Province : Hainaut
Additions : 1977 Bouffioulx, Châtelineau
- (1858) D'argent, à un buste de St-Eloi, en costume d'abbé, tenant dans sa main dextre un livre ouvert, et, à senestre, une crosse; le tout au naturel.
- (1973/78) De gueules à un perron surmonté d'une croix, letout d'or; au chef du même, chargé d'une aigle issante de sable.
The first arms were granted in 1858, new arms on October 17, 1973 and again on February 14, 1978.
The old arms show the bust of St. Elois, dressed as an abbott. Although described as St. Elois, it most likely was St. Lambertus, the local patron saint.The new arms are a combination of the arms of the city and state of Liège, to which the village historically belonged, and the eagle taken from the arms of Wauthier de Fontaine, the oldest known Lord of Châtelet, as he received the village in loan of the bishop of Liège in 1220.
The arms from 1858
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site