Couvin

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

COUVIN

Province : Namur
Additions : 1977 Aublain, Boussu-en-Fagne, Brûly, Brûly-de-Pesche, Cul-des-Sarts, Dailly, Frasnes-lez-Couvin, Gonrieux, Mariembourg (1963 Marienbourg), Pesche, Petigny, Petite-Chapelle, Presgaux.

Armoiries de Couvin

Official blazon

  • (1874) Ecartelé au premier et aux quatrième d'or, au deuxième et au troisième d'azur.
  • (1950) Ecartelé au au 1er et au 4ème d'or, au 2ème etau 3ème d'azur, sur le tout de sable à la croix latine de gueules à la

téte de léopard d'or, la gueule ouverte et les yeux de sable, brochant sur le tout.

  • (1981) Ecartelé: aux 1 et 4 d'or; aux 2 et 3 d'azur; sur le tout un écu de sable à la croix latine cousue de gueules, à la téte de léopard d'or à la gueule ouverte et allumée de sable, brochant sur la croix.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on December 14, 1874, changed on February 3, 1950 and confirmed on November 26, 1981.

The arms are based on the seal of Couvin from 1789, showing a quartered shield of gold and blue. The escutcheon shows the badge of the First Belgian Brigade, of which the first commander, General Piron, was born in Couvin in 1896. This was added in 1950.


The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

The arms on a police badge (source)

The arms on a war memorial (image Derek Howard)

The arms on a road sign (image Derek Howard)

The arms of Couvin and Montbard (image Derek Howard)

The arms in the town (image Derek Howard)

Follow us on
   
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
 
Contact us
Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:



All donations and sales are used by the Stichting Heraldry of the World (i.o.)
for maintaining the site and acquisition of new heraldic material


eBay shop
Download shop

Literature : Servais, 1955