Country : Belgium
The first arms were officially granted on June 24, 1921 and the current arms on April 17, 1990.
The arms were granted after the merger with the other municipalities, and combine the old arms with symbols for the other villages. The old arms also represent Itterbeek and Sint-Martens-Bodegem, as they all belonged to the Schokaert family since 1687, see below.
The second quarter show sthe arms of the medieval Lords of Bijgaarden and represents Groot-Bijgaarden. The fourth quarter shows the arms of the Fourneau de Cruyckenbourg family, who acquired Schepdaal and Sint-Ulriks-Kapelle in the early 17th century.
The previous arms are derived from the Schokaert family, who acquired the estate of Dilbeek in 1687.
The only known seal of the local council dates from 1773 and showed the Schokaert arms, and in 1921 the council applied for the use of these arms as arms for the municipality.
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site