- (1819) Van rood beladen met drie klimmende leeuwen van goud. Het schild is vermeerderd met de letter G van goud.
- (1840) een gulden schild, met dry roode leeuwen, geklaeuwd en getongd met dezelfde kleur, den rand getand met zwart.
- (1993) In keel drie leeuwen van zilver. Het schild getopt met een kroon met vijf fleurons van goud.
The arms were granted on October 19, 1819. changed on July 6, 1840 and again granted on February 16, 1993.
In 1813 the local council applied of these arms without any further explanation. The first grant was from 1819 and showed the three lions. In 1840 the arms were changed, the lions were now red and placed in a bordure. In 1993 the arms were corrected.
The arms from 1819
The arms from 1840
The three lions ar ethose of the Lords of Gavere, one of the most powerful families in the 13th century in Vlaanderen. The oldest seal of Gavere dates from 1326 and shows a catle with four towers. In front of the tower there is a small shield, but it can not be determined what was shown on the shield. The contra-seal shows three lions, up to the late 18th century.
Based on the latter seal the arms were granted with three golden lions and a letter G for Gavere, to distinguish the arms from Dikkelvenne, which had a D. In 1838 a wrong advise to the municipality resulted in new arms, with the thre elions in a bordure. Only in 1993 the three lions were retsored, now in the proper, silver, colour.
In 1993 a crown of a Prince was added, as the County Gavere was promoted to a Principality in 1540.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site