Country : Belgium
The arms were granted in 1823, changed on August 29, 1842 and confirmed on October 1, 1991.
The arms were most likely granted in 1357 by Willem van Beieren, Count of Hainaut, at the time Lord of Halle. The arms show in the first quarter the local patron saint, St.Mary. The second and third quarter show the arms of the Counts of Hainaut (Henegouwen). The fourth quarter shows the arms of Bavaria (Beieren), the diamonds of the Wittelsbach family.
The city applied in 1814 for the use of its historical arms, but the Dutch government granted in 1824 arms with St.Martin, the (new) patron saint of the city.
The city did not agree with the decision and applied for the old arms again, which were granted in 1842 after the Belgian independence. After the mergers in 1977 the arms were not changed.
The arms in a 17th century manuscript
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site