Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on June 18, 1839.
The arms are identical to the arms of the Schilder family. It has been stated that the Schilder family owned the Estate of Hemiksem from 1739-49, but this has not been proven. Nevertheless were the arms adopted by the municipality in 1839.
In the 1990s the Flemish Heraldic Council proposed to change the arms, as the historical significance was very weak. The council proposed new arms using the red bar, but now placed over a crosier, as a symbol for the St. Bernards Abbey in Hemiksem. The council however wanted to continue the old arms, but adopted a new blazon.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site