Country : Belgium
The arms were officially granted on February 12, 1980 and before on February 14, 1842 and March 30, 1819.
The arms show the arms of the Duchy of Limburg, held by the local patron saint, St. John Baptist. The oldest seal of the city is known from the 13th century and already shows the lion of Limburg. The town remained part of Limburg until 1813 when several parts of Limburg were added to the new province of Liège.
The patron saint appeared on the local seal in the 16th century, with the letters H and E.
At the end of the 18th century the local seal combined the saint with the small shield of the Duchy of Limburg. This combination has not changed since.
As in 1819 the colours of the field and the saint were not known, the Dutch government granted the arms in the Dutch colours of gold and blue. After the independence of Belgium the arms were re-granted, but the colours remained unchanged. In 1819 and 1842 the arms were granted with a crown, but the crown was not granted in 1980.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
The old arms (with a 'broken' lion) as seen in the town (source)
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site