This page is part of the Danish heraldry portal (Dansk Heraldik)
Region : Hovedstaden
Amt (until 2007) : København
The arms are based on the oldest seal of the city, known since 1254.
The original seal showed a city wall with towers, which gradually was transformed in the three towers. The present arms were officially granted in 1661 by King Frederik III, whose monogram is seen on the middle tower. In addition to the shield itself, the arms showed three helmets, two lions as supporters and many other symbols around the shield (see below). These are no longer used.
The arms as shown in the Kaffe Hag album from the 1930s.
The arms as shown on a cigarette card from 1926
The arms as shown in a German album +/- 1910
The arms as shown on a UK cigarette card 1912
The arms as shown in a German quartett game +/- 1905
The arms as shown in a German album +/- 1930
The arms as shown in a Austrian album +/- 1935
The arms as shown in a German album +/- 1925
The arms on a Belgian cigar band
Literature: Achen, 1982
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site