Lanaken

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

LANAKEN

Province : Limburg
Additions : 1977 Gellik, Neerharen, Rekem, Veldwezelt

Wapen van Lanaken

Official blazon

  • (1960) Gevierendeeld: 1 en 4 van goud met vier palen van keel, wat de Merode is; 2 en 3 van keel bezaaid met blokjes van zilver, met een leeuw van dezelfde kleur over alles heen. Het schild getopt met een kroon met drie fleurons gescheiden door twee groepen van drie parels hoog. het geheel geplaatst voor een H. ursula, rechtstaande, naar voren gekeerd, van vleeskleur, gekroond met een kroon met drie fleurons van goud, in gouden kleding, beschermend met haar mantel wijd open zes maagden, rechtstaande, naar voren gekeerd, van vleeskleur, met kledingen van keel, drie aan ieder zijde.
  • (1989) Gevierendeeld 1. in keel een kruis van goud 2. in zilver drie links uitkomende wolfstanden van sabel 3. in goud een schuingeplaatste pijl van keel 4. in goud vier dwarsbalken van keel; hartschild: in keel bezaaid met blokjes van zilver, een leeuw van hetzelfde.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on May 24, 1960. New arms were granted on November 21, 1989.

The new arms represent the five municipalities that were joined in 1977 to form the community of Lanaken.
The first quarter is the arms of Lijnden and is taken from the old arms of Rekem. The second quarter represents Neerharen and shows the arms of Maria Ursula de Minckwitz, Abbess of Hocht, who acquired the village of Neerharen in 1709.
The third quarter represents Gellik and shows the arms of the Heusch family, who acquired the village in 1680 and held it until the late 18th century.
The fourth quarter shows the old arms of Veldwezelt, see there.
The inescutcheon is taken from the old arms of Lanaken and shows the lion of the Pietersem family.

The old arms show a quartered shield, held by the local patron saint, Saint Ursula and her 6 maidens.

Lanaken1.jpg

The arms are the quartered arms of Merode and Pietersem or Pietersheim. Lanaken historically belonged to the Pietersheim estate and the medieval Lords of Pietersheim used a silver lion in red, surrounded by silver billets as their arms. The last member of the family died in 1449. The estate went to the sister of the last lord, who married Richard de Merode. The Merode family held the estate until the late 19th century, but also after that remained important in the municipality. When the arms were granted in 1960, the then mayor of Lanaken, Prince Xavier de Merode, permitted the use of his family arms combined with the lion of Pietersem.

Wapen van/Blason de Lanaken

The arms on a police badge (source)

Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:

All donations and sales are used for new acquisitions and maintaining the site

Follow us on



Literature : Image provided by Rudy Vanhorenbeeck, Belgium; Serbvais 1968, Viane-Awouters and Warlop, 2002.