Country : Belgium
|Dutch||Een gulden schild, met drij zwarte kepers; het eerste kwartier van zilver.|
The arms were granted on November 15, 1843.
The arms show the medieval arms of the counts of Hainaut, as the village and estate of Leke belonged to the counts of Vlaanderen-Henegouwen (Hainaut) from 1191-1270. To differentiate the arms a silver free quarter was added. These arms were mentioned for the village on a map of the Vrije van Brugge region from the 16th century.
However, there are two additional arms found for the village in the 17th and 18th century. A 17th century document shows a blue shield with three shells and a chief with the old arms of Vlaanderen. The local seal of the council in the 18th century showed a shield with a cross (no colours known). The meaning of both arms is not known.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site