Mecklenburg-Strelitz was a Duchy from 1701-1815, a Grand-Duchy from 1815-1918 and a free-state from 1918-1934 in the North-East of present Germany.
The tower symbolises the castle and fortress of Stargard built in the 13th century and from 1352-1603 often the residence of the Dukes of Mecklenburg.
The arms show the bull's head of Mecklenburg, but in these arms the ring through the nose is removed as is the crown. The cross symbolises the diocese and State of Ratzeburg. In 1648 the State of Ratzeburg became part of Mecklenburg, and after the division of Mecklenburg it became part of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.