São Vicente (São Paulo)
|Heraldry of the World |
Heráldica do Mundo
|Brazil heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Brazil
Heráldica do Brasil
State : São Paulo
The arms were granted on March 22, 1976.
The lion was taken from the coat of arms of Martim Afonso de Souza, founder of the village and Lord of the Capitancy of Sao Vicente; the crosses allude to the Jesuit Priests who brought the Christian faith and starting from Sao Vicente to spread through the forests to teach the Gospel to the Indians.
The supporters evoke the first agricultural product, sugar cane, brought by Martim Afonso de Souza in 1532, which became rapidly a great source of wealth.
The shield is surmounted by a mural crown appropriate to a city and a scroll below the shield bears the Latin motto "CELLULA MATER" indicating that Sao Vicente was the first Municipality of Brazil
Literature : Image and background provided by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, São Paulo.