Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on July 31, 1841 and again on October 5, 1988.
The lion in the arms is the lion of Brabant, as the village historically belonged to Brabant, and the in 1213 the Dukes of Brabant granted several privileges to Zoutleeuw. The lion thus appeared on the oldest seal of the town, dating from 1248. In 1424 it was mentioned in a document that the arms showed a lion and a plain red chief. Whether the chief was added simply to distinguish the arms form those of Brabant, or that it was added as a symbol for the courage and the blood spilled by the inhabitants to defend Brabant is not known. The chief also appeared on the seal from 1640 and the arms thus have not changed since.
In the 16th century some other variations of the arms are used; in a roll of arms from 1560-1570 the rms are shown as divided from red and black, with a demi-lion in the upper half. And in anothe rbook the chief was shown in silver with a blue lion again in the chief.
The arms in a 17th century manuscript
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site