122nd Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois Army National Guard

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

122ND FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, ILLINOIS ARMY NATIONAL GUARD

Coat of arms (crest) of 122nd Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois Army National Guard

(Coat of Arms)
Coat of arms (crest) of 122nd Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois Army National Guard

(Distinctive Unit Insignia)

Official blazon

Shield: Per chevron reversed and enhanced Or and Gules, on a pairle Argent fimbriated to chief of the second three fleurs-de-lis Azure, in chief a prickly pear cactus Vert.
Crest: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Illinois Army National Guard: From a wreath Or and Gules upon a grassy field the Block House of old Fort Dearborn Proper.
Motto: PROMPTI ET PARATI (Prepared and Willing).

Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 inch (2.54 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per chevron reversed and enhanced Or and Gules, on a pairle Argent fimbriated to chief of the second three fleurs-de-lis Azure, in chief a prickly pear cactus Vert. Attached below the shield a Gold scroll inscribed “PROMPTI ET PARATI” in raised base metal.

Origin/meaning

Shield: The regiment was originally the 1st Illinois Cavalry and as such was mustered into the Federal Service for the Spanish War. The chief of the shield is yellow for Cavalry edged with red which gives the colors of Spain. The Mexican border duty in 1916 is shown by the green cactus. In 1917, it became the 2d Illinois Artillery, this is shown with the red field of the shield, and on being redesignated, the 122d Field Artillery engaged in three major operations in France. These are shown by the three blue fleurs-de-lis.

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 122d Field Artillery Regiment on 19 May 1924. It was amended to render the motto into Latin on 2 September 1926. It was redesignated for the 122d Field Artillery Battalion on 13 November 1942. The insignia was redesignated for the 122d Artillery on 6 January 1961. The insignia was redesignated for the 122d Field Artillery Regiment on 11 July 1972. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 122d Field Artillery Regiment on 23 July 1924. It was amended to withdraw the crest and render the motto into Latin on 1 November 1924. It was redesignated for the 122d Field Artillery Battalion on 13 November 1942. The insignia was redesignated for the 122d Artillery on 6 January 1961. The insignia was redesignated for the 122d Field Artillery Regiment on 11 July 1972.


Literature: Image from Wikimedia Commons. The Institute of Heraldry, US Army


US heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Newyork.jpg

US heraldry:




  • Total pages in the US section : 20,611
Brooklyn-snyder.jpg

Ecclesiastical Heraldry of the USA:

Department of Defense.png

Military Heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site