Lithuania heraldry portal
This page is part of the Lithuania heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
County : Alytus
Alytus received city rights on June 15, 1581 and at the same times received its arms, in red a silver rose. The meaning of the rose is not clear, it may have been used as a symbol for St. Mary, patron saint of the Alytus church. The arms were used on the seals of the city until 1776.
In 1791/2 the local seals showed completely different symbols, namely three lily plants growing from a ground. These were never officially recognised and were derived from the arms of the Orlovski family. In the early 20th century this composition re-appeared on postcards, but not on any official document.
In 1968 the old rose was restored, but these arms were banned already in 1970. Finally on December 11, 1995 the city received its historical arms again.Literature:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site Rimsa, 1998