|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into: 1974 Wyre Forest
Arms : Argent, an anchor in pale azure surmounted by a fetterlock Or, within the fetterlock on the dexter side a sword erect of the second, hilt and pommel gold, and on the sinister side a rose gules.
The arms were officially recorded at the visitation of 1634.
The anchor represents the fact that for centuries Bewdley was an important inland port. The sword represents the contribution of the towns men who fought for Edward the IV at the battle of Shrewsbury. The king rewarded the town by granting it a charter and making it a royal borough.
In later years a palace was built in the town by the Tudors and was a home for Prince Arthur, elder brother of the future Henry VIII and was where Arthur married Katherine of Aragon by proxy. The palace was where Katherine, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Mary all lived at different times. This is the reason why there is a rose in the coat of arms.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Literature: Biggs, 1971; information by Christina Grove
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site