|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Parishes and towns : Braunstone
Arms : Per fesse indented Vert and Sable a Saltire Or charged with a Saltire Purpure on a Chief Ermine a Maunche of the second between two Legs embowed each hosed and shod with a Soft Leather Shoe of the fifteenth century couped also Purpure.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours, set upon a representation of the Entrance to the Railway Tunnel at Glenfield in the District of Blaby proper a Saltire perched thereon an Eagle displayed wings extended fessewise Or.
Motto: 'IN TERRA DIVITIAE' - In the earth, riches
The arms were officially granted on December, 20 1954 to the Blaby RDC (since 1974 Blaby District Council).
The green and black divisions of the field represent the green fields of agriculture and the black rich earth. The black points may be taken to represent the stone quarrying industry and the granite outcropping at several points in the District. They can also allude to the original ridge and furrow treatment of the land for natural drainage. The gold saltire is from the arms attributed to the ancient Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia, and refers to the many remains found in the District from that era. The purple saltire represents the two great Roman roads, Fosse Way running from the South West to the North East and Watling Street, running from the South East to the North West, which cross the District at High Cross. Purple is the colour of Imperial Rome.
The ermine chief is from the arms of Ralph, Lord Bassett (1368-1390), one of the founder Knights of the Garter, who had a castle at Sapcote. The black maunche or sleeve is from the heraldry of the Hastings family. William, Lord Hastings (1430-1485) built Kirby Muxloe Castle, which is now an ancient monument. The shoed legs refer to the two main industries of the area, hosiery and knitwear, and boot and shoe manufacture.
The tower in the crest represents the tunnel and ventilating tower at Glenfield, built in 1832 by Robert Stephenson for the Leicester-Swannington Railway. The golden eagle, from the head of a centurion's standard upon the purple cross is a further reference to High Cross, where the Roman Station of Venonae formerly stood.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?