Blyth (Borough)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Arms (crest) of Blyth (Borough)
BLYTH (BOROUGH)

Country :

  • United Kingdom
    Unitedkingdom-flag.gif
    • England

Additions:

  • 1906 Cowpen UDC
  • 1906 South Blyth UDC

Incorporated into:

Status:

  • (< 1974) Borough
  • currently Town council


Loading map...
Official blazon
English

Arms : Per fesse Gules and Azure on a Fesse Argent between in chief an Ancient Crown Or and in base a Lymphad proper flags flying to the dexter Gules three Ermine Spots Sable.
Crest : Issuant out of a Mural Crown Sable charged with three Miner's Picks shafts upwards Or a demi Lion Gold holding in the dexter paw a Miner's Lamp proper.
Motto : 'WE GROW BY INDUSTRY'.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on January 24, 1923.

The arms combine the gold crown on red of Tynemouth Priory with the ermine fess of the Delaval family. At the base of the shield is a lymphad to show that Blyth is a port.

The crest has a black mural crown charged with gold picks to show the borough was based on coal mining. The gold lion is taken from the Northumberland County Council arms and holds a miner's lamp.

The arms are currently used by the Blyth town council.Literature: Image and background provided by Laurence Jones

Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 16,279
  • Total images in the British section : 3

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site