Bonnyrigg and Lasswade

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 16,283
  • Total images in the British section : 3


Incorporated into: 1975 Midlothian District Council (1996 Midlothian Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Bonnyrigg and Lasswade

Official blazon

Parted per pale wavy: dexter, Argent, a fess Pean between two martlets respectant in chief and a lion rampant in base Gules; sinister, harry dancetty Sable and Argent, a pale raguly Vert charged with five cinquefoils of the Second; and en surtout of the whole shield a pallet wavy Azure.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet appropriate to a Burgh and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Floreat".


The arms were granted on June 27, 1952.

Bonnyrigg and Lasswade were united as one Burgh in 1929.

The arms are parted by a blue wavy line representing the river North Esk, which separates the two parts of the Burgh.

The dexter side is for Bonnyrigg: the pean (fur) fess and the lion allude to Dundas of Arniston, the main family of the district. Their silver and red colours have been used and are continued in the chief where the birds denote the wooded character of the countryside. In addition, the use in the fess of pean (instead of the Dundas ermine) recalls the "bonny rig".

The sinister side, for Lasswade, shows an heraldic version of the hawthorn tree which appeared on that Burgh's seal; in olden times the slopes of the surrounding valley were covered with white hawthorns.

The Latin motto "May it flourish" comes originally from the old Lasswade seal.


Seal of Bonnyrigg as used in the 1890s

Seal of Lasswade as used in the 1890s

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the siteLiterature: Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974