Bridlington

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 16,279
  • Total images in the British section : 3

BRIDLINGTON (Borough)

Incorporated into: 1974 North Wolds

Arms (crest) of Bridlington

Official blazon

Arms : Per pale Sable and Argent three Gothic Capital letters B counterchanged on a Chief embattled of the second two Barrulets wavy Azure.
Crest : Issuant from a Coronet composed of eight Roses set upon a Rim Or a Sun rising Gules.
Motto: 'SIGNUM SALUTIS SEMPER' - Ever the sign of health

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on September 26, 1934.

The B's are said to have come from the arms of Bridlington Priory. There is, however, no absolute proof that Bridlington Priory actually used this coat of arms but its use after the dissolution of the Priory in 1537 is not too long for the tradition to have endured. The arms have however been used by the charitable trust known as The Lords Feoffees and Assistants of the Manor of Bridlington. There is a theory that the three B’s are a reference to the Trinity and thereby strengthens the possibility that this coat of arms did formerly belong to the Bridlington Priory.

The blue waves and rising sun refer to the town's position on the east coast, and the roses represent Yorkshire.

The arms are now used by the Town Council.

Arms (crest) of Bridlington

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the siteLiterature: Image and information from here