Comté-de-Nice

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

COMTÉ-DE-NICE

Blason de Comté-de-Nice/Arms (crest) of Comté-de-Nice
Official blazon
French blazon wanted
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

First recorded in 1431, the Red Eagle on three mounts becomes the standard representation of the city and the County only during the XVIth Century. In 1502, the blue sea is added at the foot of the mounts (which by tradition represents the three hills on which the city was founded (the Greek city, the Roman city and Montalban). In 1578, a crown was added on the head of the eagle, and after the first French occupation (1695-1705) the Countal Crown and the palms are added to the shield. The inscription "Nicaea Civitas" at the bottom would be a later addition during the Piemontese restauration of 1814.

See also Nice.

Coat of arms (crest) of Comté-de-Nice

The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
Blason de Comté-de-Nice/Coat of arms (crest) of {{PAGENAME

The arms in the Café Sanka album +/- 1932

French heraldry portal



This page is part of the
France.jpg
French heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

French heraldry:

Overseas territories:



  • Total pages in the French section : 52,756
  • of which images : 30,643

Selected collector's items from France:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the siteLiterature: Image taken from La banque du blason (with permission)