|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
GARSTANG (Rural district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 : Wyre
Arms : Per fesse Gules and Argent a Fesse wavy barry wavy of four of the second and Azure in chief two Crosiers in saltire Or between as many pierced Cinquefoils Ermine and in base a Rose of the first barbed and seeded proper.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours upon the Battlements of a Square Tower proper a Lion couchant resting the dexter forepaw on a Garb Or.
Motto: 'CURANDUM OMNIUM BONUM' - The welfare of all is our concern
The arms were officially granted on September 9, 1949.
The white and blue wave across the shield represents the River Wyre flowing through the district. The two ermine cinquefoils are taken from the arms of the Hamilton family, who came into possession of much of the land in the district. The crosiers recall the Abbey of Cockersand and the Rose of Lancaster completes the shield.
The crest is based on an old seal of Garstang itself, a former borough, which used the device of a lion in a curious half-rising attitude which earned it locally the name of "the lion levant". There is little doubt that this was a crudely drawn version of the couchant lion which was the crest of the de Lancasters, who held much of the district in mediaeval times. The wheatsheaf alludes to the agriculture of the district and the battlements of a square tower represents Greenhalgh Castle.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site