|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
GLANFORD BRIGG (Rural district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Glanford
Arms : Ermine between three Pallets wavy Azure two Croziers addorsed Or on a Chief Sable a representation of Brigg Bridge proper.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Azure issuant from Flames a Lincolnshire Red Shorthorn Bull's Head proper charged on the neck with three Links of Chain in fesse Argent.
Motto: 'ALWAYS READY'
The arms were officially granted on March 27, 1950.
The ermine background recalls Ermine Street, which runs through the District, and the blue waves are for the River Ancholme lying between the River Trent and the southward sweep of the River Humber, which formed the westward and eastward boundaries. The gold croziers are from the arms of Thornton Abbey, they also refer to the ancient See of Lindsey, whose bishop's were seated at Kirkton-in-Lindsey. The relative positions of the waves and the croziers correspond to the geographical situation, so that the shield forms a kind of heraldic map. The black 'chief' is from the arms of the Order of St. Augustine, or Black Canons, which was represented at Thornton Curtis.
The bull's head, represents the local strain of cattle, it rises from flames standing for ironstone mining. The links, play on the name of the County, and were the device of the old Lincolnshire Sugar Company, refering to the sugar-beet industry.
The motto "Always Ready" is an English translation of the Neithorpe family motto "Tout Joirs Prest".
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site