|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1975 Falkirk District Council (1996 Falkirk Area Council)
Parted per pale Argent and Gules: in the dexter on a base undy Azure and of the First a representation of the Charlotte Dundas steamship Proper; and in the sinister a stag's head erased with a cross-crosslet fitchee between her attires Or.
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal crown and a Helmet befitting their degree with a Mantling Azure doubled Argent, and on a Wreath of their Liveries is set for Crest a steamship on the waves of the sea all Proper, and in an Escrol over the same this Motto "Ingenium Vincit Omnia".
The arms were granted on August 1, 1930.
Grangemouth was founded in about 1777 by Sir Laurence Dundas of Kerse in connection with the opening of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
The arms partly reflect the device on the Burgh seal adopted in 1888. The shield is parted in the silver and red colours of Dundas. On the dexter, there is a representation of the first practical steamboat, built for Thomas, 1st Lord Dundas (son of Sir Laurence Dundas), at Grangemouth in 1802, and designed for towing vessels up the River Carron and along the Forth and Clyde Canal.
On the sinister, the stag's head with the cross-crosslet recalls the town's connection through Abbots Kerse with Holyrood Abbey, which once held the Lordship of Kerse, and with the Bellenden family who were granted it as part of the Barony of Broughton after the Reformation; such a feature appears on old Abbey seals and in the Bellenden arms.
The steamship in the crest indicates Grangemouth's importance as a seaport.
The Latin motto "Skill conquers all" came from the Burgh seal.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974