Haverfordwest

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 16,282
  • Total images in the British section : 3

HAVERFORDWEST (Borough)

Incorporated into: 1974 Preseli (1996 Pembrokeshire)

Arms (crest) of Haverfordwest

Official blazon

Arms : Barry wavy Argent and Azure a Lymphad sails set proper and flags flying Gules on a Chief Vert a Castle triple-towered between two Plumes each of [three] Ostrich Feathers Argent.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Vert out of the Battlements of an hexagonal Tower a demi Man winding a Horn proper habited per pale Vert and Argent on his head a Steel Cap proper.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Dragon Gules the undersides of the wings charged with a Cross Or thereon five Cinquefoils Sable and on the sinister side a Lion Sable about the neck an Ancient Crown [Eastern or antique crown] with a Chain reflexed over the back Or.
Motto: 'O LECTOR SALVE COELI PATEANT TIBI VALVE' - O reader hail, may the Gates of Heaven stand open for thee

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on October 5, 1966, transferred to the town council on April 16, 1975.

The blue and white waves are a reminder of the importance of the River Cleddau, which was used to bring most of the trade into the centre of Haverfordwest. The ship and the castle are taken from the obverse and reverse of the Common Seal, refering to the port and castle. The feathers refer to the granting of a charter to the town by Edward, Prince of Wales, in 1479.

The figure on the crest is also derived from the Common Seal, his jerkin is coloured white and green, which were those worn by the Prince of Wales's Welsh troops fighting in the French campaigns.

The red dragon represents Wales and the gold cross and cinquefoils (not shown in image) on its wing are from the arms of the See of St. Davids. The black lion with gold collar and chain is derived from the arms of Philipps of Picton, a family closely associated with the town.

The motto is also taken from the Common Seal.

Arms (crest) of Haverfordwest

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Arms (crest) of Haverfordwest

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Image and information from here